Saturday, July 30, 2011

If I Were Named Royals GM for the Next Two Days


I want to make it crystal clear that the following is in no way based on rumor or conjecture.  It is based on nothing I’ve heard or read.  It is simply wishful thinking on my part and it is all a figment of my baseball befuddled mind.

It is July 30th and I have been named The Grand, Interim, Magical, Mystical, and Omnipotent General Manager of the Kansas City for two days.  The kingdom is mine!

I trade Lorenzo Cain and Kyle Davies to the Houston Astros for Wandy Rodriguez.  No, Houston, we don’t need any cash for Wandy’s future years – just take Kyle Davies.  Please.

I trade Joakim Soria (this one kills me a little), Jeff Francis, and Mike Aviles for Jesus Montero, Ivan Montero, and a player to be named later.

I then flip Montero, Nova, in addition to Chris Dwyer, and some lower level prospect for Ubaldo Jimenez.

I trade Bruce Chen to anybody for a utility infielder with a good glove.

I release or demote Chris Getz and promote Johnny Giovatello.

I lock up Jeff Fanceour and Melky Cabrera through at least 2012, maybe 2013.  With their contracts, this will be relatively easy.

I name Greg Holland closer.

The Yankees name Manny Banuelos as the player to be name later.

By the end of the day on Sunday 31st, here is the Royals line-up:

LF Gordon
CF Cabrera
DH Butler (suddenly the second coming of Rusty Staub)
1B Hosmer
RF Franceour
3B Moustakus
C Treanor/Pena
SS Escobar
2B Giovatello

Rotation:

Jimenez
Rodriguez
Paulino
Hochevar
Duffy

The Royals suddenly have a team with no starting position player, with the exception of catcher, older than 27.  The rotation is younger and much, much more talented.  The bullpen is the youngest in baseball but full of talented arms.  They have the most productive outfield, both offensively and defensively in the American League (this is true even now – you can look it up).

Suddenly, the Royals are a force now and maybe are the AL Central favorites in 2012.  Best of all, most of the pieces of the Royals topnotch minor league system is still intact for the future.

At the end of Sunday, July 31st, I step down from my vaunted post and all hail me Genius and Savior of the Franchise.  I nod and wave to my legions of fans as I slowly fade away.  There is never a genie in a bottle lying around when you need one…

If you like movies and television, you might enjoy my review blog at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and you can get updates for both blogs @jawsrecliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment