Saturday, December 17, 2011

Wouldn't Yu Darvish Look Good in Powder Blue?

While the rumor mill is churning out the word that Toronto is the heavy favorite to win the bid for Japanese sensation, Yu Darvish, I'm not convinced.  I've read that Darvish's bid was higher than Dice K's 51.1 million.  I have also read that Toronto's bid was 48 million.  This would lead me to believe the heavily rumored Blue Jays did not win the bid. 

I am not saying the following is a fact or even a rumor.  I have NOT heard or read anything anything about this.  I just want everyone to know that it would not surprise me at all if the Kansas City Royals submitted the winning bid for Darvish. 

I know some of you are thinking, "Dude is crazy!"  While this statement is undoubtedly correct, I have several reasons for believing this to be possible:

1) I have not read anywhere that the Royals did NOT submit a bid.

2) Dayton Moore plays things very close to the vest.  Many (most) of his moves are big surprises.  The Royals run a tight, quiet ship under Moore - very little is ever leaked.

3) Moore is convinced it is nearly impossible to lure a big name free agent to sign KC.  I have heard him say this. 

4) Moore believes the price in prospects is too high for a team like the Royals to make a trade for the likes of Gio Gonzalez, Jair Jurrjens, etc. Just look at the hall for Matt Latos.

5) Former Royals manager Trey Hillman, who also managed in Japan for several years, is a huge Darvish fan.  I'm sure Moore knows this very well.

6) I think Moore believes the Royals are one top-of-the-rotation pitcher away from being a serious contender for the AL Central.  I can't disagree.  Moore may consider this the only way for Kansas City to get a top starting pitcher without giving up several top prospects.


We all will find out within the next few days what team submitted the highest bid.  I'm not saying it is the Royals.  I am saying it is very possible and I won't be surprised in the least.  This is all speculation on my part based on rumors I have read on the internet, for goodness sake.  I know those rumors aren't worth a red penny.  They just made me stop and analyze the situation,  And, as a Royals fan, it has allowed me to dream a little, even if it is just for a few days.


Thanks for reading.  Check out my movie and tv review page at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner

No comments:

Post a Comment