Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Tourney's Black Eye


I love the NCAA Tournament.  The first weekend of the tourney is the greatest made-for-television events in all of sports. (If you need proof that it is a creature of television, watch for all of the empty seats in most of the venues.)  CBS has done nothing but perfect its product with its four network format.  I have basically spent 12 hours over each of the past two days buried in my recliner with little or no respite.  My wife is now boycotting the living room due to the smell. 

I think you get the picture – I love college basketball and I love this tournament.  I am willing to live with extra long commercial breaks and half times (being able to switch to another channel for more action certainly helps).  I am willing to put up with commentators and analysts who are ill prepared and are not familiar with the college game.  What I am not willing to tolerate is the underwhelming, atrocious performances by a large number of the games’ officials.

I have played sports my whole life and for much of my younger years I was an official basher.  As a player, I had little patience for the ineptitude of poor officiating or umpiring.   A funny thing happened along the way.  For four years in the late 1990’s, I became a part time referee and umpire.  There is a tough learning curve and I came to appreciate the efforts of the people working the games.  As I gained more experience, my goal became to be unnoticed in any game I worked.  This may sound odd to some but if you have ever played sports, you know that if a referee or an umpire is doing a good job, then you don’t even notice them.  This does not mean never blowing your whistle.  It means you hustle, make the right calls at the right time, and be as fair as you possibly can.

The problem I am having with this tournament specifically, and with sports in general, is that officials are becoming too noticeable.  They seem to be grabbing the spotlight more and more.  (This is becoming a giant issue in major league baseball as well.)  There have been two games where the officials have had a major hand in the outcomes of the games.  (UNC Asheville/Syracuse and Xavier/Notre Dame)  It is hard to say the officials won or lost a game for any team but they certainly prevented a few teams from having a fair opportunity to win some games.

During my 24 hours of basketball gluttony, I have seen a plethora of horrible officiating.  I have seen late whistles, blown calls on obvious plays, calls made by the wrong official, calls made by officials not in the correct position to make the correct calls, missed basket interferences, players pummeled without penalty, players called for breathing too hard on an opponent, and making rulings on obscure rules that I have never seen called before in games.  Twice, I have seen players just simply fall down and their defenders drew whistles.  Not only have the officials seemed intent on taking the games out of the players’ control, but they have made the wrong calls over and over. 

As an official, the block/charge call was absolutely the hardest call to make.  There is so much to watch for and it happens so fast, it is very hard to be sure you are making the right call.  I cannot tell you though how many of these calls I have seen over the past 2 days.  I bet that the officials have gotten the call wrong 75% of the time.  I was a huge proponent of adding the arc under the basket.  I thought is would help the officials get this call right.  I was wrong.  It has actually hurt the game.  Officials are so busy looking at the feet, they miss the big picture.  Basically, they see if the feet are in or out of the arc and make their call based on that, regardless of what else might be happening.  As someone who has played, officiated, and watched thousands of games, I would estimate that about 60% of the time, this call should be a block.  The officials have called the overwhelming majority of these calls around the basket as charges.  There have been two I can remember they call blocks, and replays showed both should have been charges.  They just can’t get it right.

I am also tired of everyone just sweeping the problem under the rug.  Game announcers avoid commenting on the mistakes of officials like it will result in their beheading.  They just nod and agree with every call.  Unless it is Charles Barkley, the analysts are not calling out these officials.  I am tired of the argument that officials are just like players and they make mistakes.  While it is true to an extent, players are 20 year old kids and officials are mature, paid professionals.  The players are held responsible for their mistakes while officials have people make excuses for their errors and the television crews work hard to cover up any incompetence with officials. 

Officials in any game in any sports should not be part of the story but this is becoming more and more the case as officials seem to want their share of the bright spotlight.  If I could relay a message to the officials it would be to tell them to just do their job, do it better, and let the players decide the games.  Make the right calls at the right time and no one will even notice you.  That should be the goal of every official.

Read movie and tv reviews at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment