Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thank You, I'll Have Another

I am by no means a horse racing fan.  I enjoy a good horse racing movie just like the next guy.  I grew up on a farm and always had quite a few cattle around at all times but I was never much of a horseman.  I always preferred the 3-wheeler instead as my mode of transportation when herding the cattle from place to place.  

I just happened to be at my parents' house yesterday.  My mom likes to watch the Triple Crown races so the Preakness Stakes were on.  I had seen the replays of the Kentucky Derby and was impressed by the winner, I'll Have Another.  It was quite the story.  The horse was buried in 6th or 7th most of the race then charged by the pack, including the favored Bodemeister down the stretchBodemeister obviously ran out of gas (oats?) at the end of the Derby.  Throw in a first time winning trainer and owner, plus a no-name jockey and the story almost becomes Hollywood worthy.

Going into the Preakness Stakes, Bodemeister was again the favorite but I'll Have Another really jumped up the boards at 3:1 odds.  Everyone was wondering if the first race was a fluke.

This race was very similar to the first.  Bodemeister ran ahead of the pack almost from the get go and he looked stronger than 2 weeks ago.  I'll Have Another was back a bit but not as buried as in the Derby.  With maybe 300 yards to go, it looked like Bodemeister was going to win the thing easily.  He had a good lead and was running strong.  If you watch the video, you can actually pinpoint the moment I'll Have Another kicked it into high gear.  He blew by the horse who was running second like that horse was running on a tread mill.  It was amazing how fast I'll Have Another closed the gap on Bodemeister.  As they drew even, you can actually see I'll Have Another lunging his nose further forward than his rival horse.  You read about horses having heart and you see it in the movies but I personally had never seen it in horse race - until yesterday.  I'll Have Another was like any human athlete who wanted it more than their opponent.  The effort that horse put forth and the speed in which it displayed those last 300 yards was very exciting to witness.

I've watched the videos of both races a few times now and they both impress me every time.  I have become a fan of I'll Have Another and I will be cheering him on to complete the elusive Triple Crown.

Check out my movie blog at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner

No comments:

Post a Comment