Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Expectations for the 2011 Jayhawks


Other than the given variable of talent, two things really separate the big boys of the Big XII conference and the little guys.  To me, those things are overall speed and depth.  Schools like OU and Texas always seem to be playing so much faster than some of the other schools.  On top of awesome team speed, these schools seem to have five star players three deep at every position.  It is easy to overcome injuries or poor performances when another eager, talented, highly recruited player is waiting in the wings for his chance to shine.

Schools like KU are always trying to catch up to the speed of OU and Texas.  It is a tough row to hoe because speed does not necessarily translate directly into football talent.  One can assume that top ranked players with plus speed are going to have an opportunity to play at Texas, OU, and A&M.  I can’t help but think that KU, ISU, and even KSU and Baylor are getting the leftovers.  The bottom schools are getting the guys listed as athletes as opposed to by position.  This tells me these guys may be fast or athletically gifted but I am not sure if they are good football players.

Turner Gill, as does every coach overseeing every bottom dwelling team in every BCS conference, has been stressing the need to increase team speed.  I can’t disagree with that approach.  Last season, the Jayhawks seem to be running in slow motion at times.  They needed to improve speed and quickness at nearly every position.  By all the accounts I have read, KU has significantly increased their overall team speed.  Now, we will have to wait and see if these faster players can actually play football.  On the plus side, speed can’t be taught but football can be.  That’s why we have coaches.

As far as team depth, it looks like the Jayhawks will have good depth at only two positions – running back and linebacker.  I am hoping I am wrong about this but it is my impression of this team.  Regretfully, that is not enough depth to compete week in and week out in the Big XII.

Expectations for KU are not high.  Most publications and internet sites have them listed dead last.  Most of the college football pundits on the television and sports radio have them listed last.  It will be very difficult, but not impossible, to disappoint. 

With the new scheduling format of playing all conference schools, teams like the Jayhawks and Cyclones lose a non-conference cupcake and have to play all of the (formerly) south teams.  It is a very difficult task for schools trying to improve their position.  KU opens the season against McNeese St., a team that went 6-5 a year ago.  That should be a win but we all remember North Dakota State.  Then KU faces Northern Illinois.  Not a name school by any means but certainly not a pushover.  NIU went 10-3 in the MAC, with 2 of their losses coming to BCS schools.  Now, a lower level BCS schools should still beat a MAC team, especially at home, but NIU is not a cupcake,  The last non-conference match-up is at Georgia Tech and you can bet they want to avenge last year’s massive upset at Memorial Stadium.  KU will have to play well to win 2 of these games.  Does anyone see the Jayhawks beating 4 of the nine Big XII teams because I just can’t.  That is what it will take to make it to a bowl.  Everyone will be better off just to forget that pipe dream right now.

The Jayhawks will certainly be a better overall team than last season’s squad but I doubt it will show in their record.  I think anything more than 3 wins should be celebrated as a massive improvement.  If KU won more than three games, I would be thrilled.  I just want to see improvement in the overall play from game to game.  I want the Jayhawks to at least be in every game.  I don’t want to see any blowouts by halftime.  I would consider that progress.  I just don’t think KU has the depth to compete for a full game against the big boys every week. 

My biggest fears are with the offensive and defensive lines.  I just don’t think the Jayhawks have the size, speed, or depth on either side of the ball to control the line of scrimmage in order to compete in the Big XII.  I am also totally unimpressed with Jordan Webb at quarterback.  With little protection in front of him, I haven’t seen the accuracy or arm strength that he needs to be a top half signal caller in this league.  He can only hand off to James Sims and company so many times.

On the defensive side of the ledger, the linebacking core looks to have some speed and depth and the defensive backs are experienced.  I don’t know how KU is going to get enough consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks.  I am hoping the Jayhawks are faster from sideline to sideline and can pursue with success but in the pass happy Big XII, if they can’t pressure the quarterback, it will be a long season fro the Jayhawks. 

I am not without hope.  Every year, there is one team that surprises.  Maybe in 2011 it will be KU.  Maybe coach Turner and staff and coach these guys up and get them to believe enough to overcome the deficiencies.  Possible but not likely.  I hope KU can hang in some games and steal a couple of wins.  From all accounts, KU is going to try to run a lot and shorten the games as much as possible.  With the lack of pass protection I anticipate, that is probably a good game plan, if not the most exciting one.

Here is my prediction for the final standings in the Big XII conference:

1) OU
2) A&M
3) OSU
4) Texas
5) MU
6) Tech
7) Baylor
8) KSU
9) ISU
10) KU

I think it is possible for Texas to have a sub par season and maybe MU moving up a spot or two.  Positions 2-7 could very fluid as there doesn’t seem to be a ton of difference between these squads.  I would love to see the Jayhawks be the surprise team but I won’t hold my breath.

Catch up on my tv and film blog at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment