Saturday, November 5, 2011

Big XII Basketball Preview


I have had a heck of a time writing this particular posting.  When I first started thinking about it, I didn’t think it would be this hard.  As I did more research and gathered more information, it became clear to me that there isn’t a tremendous difference in talent from team to team throughout the ten Big XII teams for the 2011-2012 basketball season.  It is a league loaded with incredible coaches with proven track records and all will lead teams that put forth effort and heart every single game.  The new schedule format will be tougher than every before.  The two historically worst basketball programs are gone (Nebraska and Colorado) and all teams play each other twice.  It will be a brutal road and this league may very well just beat itself up.

The more I looked at things, the more uncomfortable I became with trying to rank these teams.  I did it but by no means am I confidant in that I will even be close to being correct five months from now.  I rank the teams from bottom to top and try to give my reasoning in a sentence or two for each team.  Here goes…

10. Texas Tech.  Coach Billy Gillespie has rebuilt a Big XII program before but his work is cut out for him.  Tech is the only team I feel remotely comfortable about with this ranking.  There simply isn’t very much talent on this roster.  It will be a rough road for the Red Raiders.

9. Oklahoma.  Veteran coach Lon Kruger returns to the Midwest as a Sooner.  He inherits a team without a lot of big names.  Although only one major contributor from last season was lost, there are few top notch players.  Kruger has added to a couple of transfers to help improve this teams tepid rebounding.  Kruger has his work cut out for him.

8. Kansas State.  I am not why K-State has been ranked as high as they have been in some of the pre-season polls.  While they have the talent and the coaching to compete for a league title, most of their players are unproven as stars or leaders.  I think Coach Frank Martin may struggle to get this squad to meet his high standards.

7. Oklahoma State.  Tough overachievers like Keiton Page and Jean-Paul Olukemi offer Coach Travis Ford a good solid scoring base.  Add in one of the top recruits in the nation and I think the Cowboys have a great chance to surprise in this conference.  Ford’s teams are gutsy and scrappy and never end up easy prey for anyone.

6. Iowa State.  This is a gut pick for me.  Hometown hero, coach Fred Hoiberg is going to rely on a bevy of Division I transfers so fill key roster spots.  While not loaded with many returning stars, the Cyclones will challenge with those transfers.  I especially like Royce White’s chances at being a very successful player in a conference short on dominant low post players.  Look out for this team.

5. Texas.  It isn’t getting easier.  Texas never finishes this low so I’m not sure why I have Rick Barnes’ squad here.  It just worked out that way.  Just like every other team, the Longhorns have as many questions marks as they have answers.  J’Covan Brown seems to have a great game every time I watch them and he is only a junior.  I think a couple of freshmen will play key roles this season and the Longhorns’ success may come down to how quickly those youngsters get acclimated.

4. Texas A&M.  I originally had the Aggies slightly higher but I dropped them a couple of places due to new coach Billy Kennedy’s health questions.  I wonder how the team will adjust to a new system plus the uncertainty of who is manning the bench from game to game, if that becomes an issue.  I think the Aggies may have one of the best players in the Big XII in Khris Middleton and if he continues to improve, he may be able to lead his team to first.

3. Missouri.  I really think the Tigers have the talent and experience to win the conference championship.  I am not convinced Frank Haith is the guy to lead them there.  A shadow hangs over Haith and the Tigers because of things that happened at Haith’s former school and I don’t how that will affect Missouri.  Marcus Denman and Phil Pressey have a chance to be very special and they are exciting players.  This team will really get after it and maybe they will win their only Big XII round ball title.

2. Baylor.  Coach Drew has the most returning firepower in the league.  The roster is loaded with experienced, talented players.  I have always believed that defense has held the Bears back in the past.  If Baylor can tighten things up on the defensive end of the court, they will be very tough to beat because they are so talented offensively.  This team will score a lot of points and may very well finish at the top come March.

1. Kansas.  It is with much trepidation that I pick Kansas to finish first.  To be honest, it is only because after seven years, somebody has to knock them off.  It would crazy to pick anyone else.  That being said, if the field is going to knock the Jayhawks off the mountain, this will be the year.  Their front court is paper thin, even with pre-season All-American Thomas Robinson manning the post.  He will probably see a lot of double teams until someone else can step up to relieve the pressure.  Because of NCAA rulings (to me, the shadowy “partial qualifier”) for three incoming freshmen not being able to play this season, the Jayhawks are also very shallow along the bench.  Coach Bill Self will certainly have to display his finest coaching yet for the Jayhawks to repeat once again.

One thing I did not figure in because it is a huge unknown.  I don’t know how other schools will react to A&M and Missouri.  These departing programs will probably receive harsher treatment than normal when on the road.  There is no way to predict if this will spur them on or beat them down.

Whew.  That was not easy.  Again, I hold little confidence these rankings will hold up.  I see as many as 9 schools with the talent to finish in the top 4 if things go their way over an extended period of games.  Many teams are only an injury away from being buried.  While this is true every year, I think it is even more so this season.  No matter what, it should be an exciting and unpredictable season.

For movie and TV reviews, visit jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner

No comments:

Post a Comment