Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Turner Gill Dilemma


What to do about Turner Gill?  This is the question Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger must answer very soon.  Before exiting the program, former AD Lew Perkins signed Gill to a 5-year contract and now Zenger is caught holding the bag.

I like Turner Gill and I bet he sounds really good in living rooms around the country.  I want him to be successful.  KU absolutely needs him to be successful.  Unfortunately, ranking 120th out of 120th in both yards allowed and points allowed is not being successful. 

I have always been a firm believer that college football coaches need at least four years to recruit and develop their own players.  That theory is being sorely tested right now.  KU runs the very realistic chance of just burying themselves in the position of permanent cellar dwellers in the conference for years to come.  KU cannot afford another Terry Allen, who was given ample time and opportunity to improve his teams but never could.  In this ever fluid world of shifting conference loyalties, KU cannot afford to be a nothing, an automatic win for opponents.  KU cannot afford its fans’ desertion in this crucial time where football generated income is essential to collegiate success. 

I would not like to be in Zenger’s shoes right now.  He has to decide whether or not to give Gill another year to show progress and to begin to turn things around.  Can KU afford to eat 3 years of contract and pay a new coach what it would take to get a guy good enough to turn things around?  Are there any coaches good enough and desperate to take this job?  That is a lot of very important questions.

As I watched KU’s defense roll over and play dead today against Texas A&M, I could see nothing on the defensive side of the ball that lead me to believe KU is even close to improving.  There looks to be one, maybe two, BCS level players on defense.  The defensive line has been absolutely invisible all season.  This puts incredible pressure on the linebackers and d-backs and those guys don’t look very talented themselves.  They can’t tackle (other than Steve Johnson) and they can’t cover.  I just can’t believe that a unit could be that bad. 

Even the special teams aren’t good.  KU has very little success returning any kind of kicks and their kickers are inconsistent and barely adequate.  Today, the long snapper sent the punter deep – in the wrong direction.

The offensive line couldn’t contain a rush from a pee-wee defense.  They can occasionally hold a block just long enough for a running back to gain two or three yards on the ground.  Quarterback Jordan Webb at times looks adequate enough but other times is completely in over his head.  Of course, it is hard to tell when the offensive line is so terrible

On the positive side, Gill has collected a bevy of young, talented running backs.  If these guys receive any blocking whatsoever, they make things happen.  They are quick, fast, and courageous.  We can see though, that it is not nearly enough to be successful. 

So, we are back to that original question – what to do about Turner Gill?  Could Zenger find anyone worth anything to take over this program if he decided to can Gill?  Whereas KU could pick and choose its basketball coach, what is there here for a football coach?  It seems like much longer than four years since KU was a BCS bowl winning team.  How did KU not take advantage of that incredible season?  Those are the seasons that help programs become better programs.  Here we are, four years later, maybe the worst team in division one.

Gill has to shoulder the blame.  This team has shown no improvement.  None.  I think KU is even worse this year than last.  I was bummed when I heard KU was on TV today.  I didn’t want anyone to see just how bad KU is right now.  I watched of course, but I was embarrassed and disgusted for my team.

If I saw any indication that this team would be better next season, I would retain Gill but this team has flat lined.  It is brutal.  Zenger has to come up with the money to oust Turner and find someone new.  It has to be done soon - the sooner the better.  I’m talking next Saturday night as soon as the (final) Missouri game is over.  I don’t think Zenger can afford to wait.  He has to convince boosters to come up with money to hire a new head coach.  He will have his work cut for him to find a new coach.  I don’t know who would want this job.  That may be the one single factor that might deter him, if money is not a factor.  Would any coach with any skill or reputation take this job?  To be honest, I don’t know if that guy is out there.  After today though, KU can’t afford another year of Turner Gill at the helm.

Did I mention I am glad I am not Sheahon Zenger?

Read my movie and television reviews at jawsrecliner.blogspot.com and get twitter updates @jawsrecliner

No comments:

Post a Comment