Monday, March 21, 2011

NCAA Tournament's New Viewing Format

There is an old saying that goes “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”  Old sayings stick around because they are true.  Well, I have to say, in this case, the old saying is wrong.  I was wary about the new broadcasting plan for the NCAA tournament.  The first four days of the tournament are the best four days of the sports year, in my opinion.  Nothing is better than to spend four glorious days camped out on a recliner watching game after game after game.  I never come closer to divorce than I do the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Now, my wariness is gone.  The first weekend is even better and that is awesome.  Now, I get to pick what game I want to watch and not what CBS dictates to me.  No more annoying live look-ins.  If I want to switch over and watch a close ending, I can.  If I don’t want to, I don’t have to.  Best of all, I get to skip most of the mind numbing commercials (I will never, ever use Old Spice again in protest to all those awful commercials) by just switching channels to another game during the breaks. 

And what a weekend of games!  Nail biters and last second shots.  Celebrations and heart break.  Who could ask for more?  Right off the bat on Thursday afternoon, three great finishes right in a row.  What sports fan wasn’t in heaven?

Despite the improved viewing experience, a few things need to be tweaked.  Another game needs to be added on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  Maybe take the latest game on those days and stick it in the schedule to start at approximately half time of the first game.  After the frenetic pace of the first two days, it was almost a lull on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, especially if you did not have a personal stake in those games.  And can we quit calling the play-in games first round games?  It kept throwing me off when the announcers called the weekend games round three match-ups.  No, they’re not.  They are second rounds games.  These issues are minors, though.  The experience was enhanced by the extra channels, although I understand that TrueTV has not in HD in some markets.  That would have been annoying.

Another thing that should be addressed is the selection process in general.  Either go back down to 65 or go up to 72 (no more than that – the field is watered down as it is).  Let’s have a true first round if you are going to have one.  As far the selection process goes, there are arguments about teams left out every single year.  That is part of the excitement.  It gives everyone something to talk (and write) about.  The seeding is more of an issue than who was left out.  They should focus more on coming up with a better way to evaluate teams - one that does not involve who a team’s opponents play. 

I would also like to comment on the courtside announcers and the studio crews.  Can we please do away with the NBA guys?  It was painfully obvious some did not know the collegiate players or rules.  I find Charles Barkley as entertaining as hell but it was so obvious he was uncomfortable discussing the college game.  His points were often unclear and he looked unsure of himself.  On the other hand, Kevin Harlan is magnificent!  This dude can cover anything.  His voice is so smooth and he obviously works hard on his craft.  He never mispronounces names or calls players by the wrong names – a true professional.  Another guy I absolutely love is Gus Johnson.  He could commentate on paint drying and make it sound exciting.  His enthusiasm for the game itself is fun and refreshing.  I would watch any game this dude was working.

The first weekend is over and all I can do is to try to wait patiently for Thursday to arrive.  Between the NCAA Tournament and the anticipation of baseball season Opening Day, there leaves little doubt that March is the best sports month on the calendar.  Alas, my skills as a prognosticator leave much room for improvement.  Pittsburg bows out in the second round.

No comments:

Post a Comment